Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My Top 5 Exfoliating Products

I have been obsessed with exfoliating for years now and it still astonishes me how many people skip this vital step of skincare. It's really important to exfoliate regularly if you want smooth, evenly toned skin, as you probably already know (I'm preaching to the converted here but believe me, some people don't exfoliate!). I always make sure that I lightly exfoliate my face every day and my body every second or third day. There are loads of brilliant products out there that can transform the texture of your skin and I'm about to list my top 5 favouritesThe Sanctuary Exfoliating Gloves - I only started using these about a month ago and I don't know why I didn't start sooner! I had heard of them before but never got round to buying them. I got these from Boots, they are 100% nylon and it's kind of like using a soft loofah on you're body, only it's much easier because they're in glove form. I use them every second day in the shower, I dampen them first, squirt some shower cream or oil on them (current favourites are Dove Silk Shower Cream or L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil) then exfoliate in circular motions starting at my feet and working upwards. These gloves prevent any bumps appearing on your legs caused by shaving and if you exfoliate just before shaving, it creates a much smoother result. They are also perfect for using to prepare the skin for self tanning. I've found that with regular use, it's made the little bumps I had on the backs of my arms disappear (I hate those things, they are so annoying!).
Origins Incredible Spreadable Scrub Ginger Body Smoother - wow that's a mouthful! What a great product though. I normally buy this as a treat for myself because at £21.00 for 250ml, it's not the cheapest product on the block! The one saving grace is that you don't have to use alot of it with each application. It contains white and brown sugars, dead sea salt, olive oil and the gorgeous scent of Ginger. It's super hydrating and leaves my skin so soft but I would only use this as a weekly or two weekly treat and definitely not before self tanning as the oils that linger on the skin would cause an uneven tan.
St Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub - Ahhh my old favourite! This stuff always delivers and I will always repurchase it because it does a really good job of smoothing and softening the skin on my face. It's gentle enough to use everyday and I always get a super smooth makeup application after using it. I generally use it when I want a really good deep exfoliation. I prefer the invigorating one as opposed to the gentle or blackhead preventing one as they are too gentle for my skin and don't make alot of difference. The kernels in this scrub slough away any dry skin and don't strip your skin of moisture like some other exfoliating products.

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish - Ok, I know I harp on about this product all the time and you're probably sick of seeing it on my blog for the umpteenth time but I still know loads of people who have never heard of it or have never used it. I can't stress enough how good this product has been for my skin. The thick 100% organic cleanser smells so lovely and makes my skin really really soft. The muslin cloths are the vital part of the process as they exfoliate the skin in such a gentle way. The cloths are woven so that they really refine the texture of your skin with regular use. This cleansing system really does keep my skin clear and smooth and for that reason, it will always be part of my daily routine. I apply it every single night and it has really helped my Psoriasis on my face and I now have no dry bits on my face whatsoever. I have to be careful not to use products that will be too harsh or strip the natural oils from my face but this product is just perfection. My face feels so fresh and clean after using it and my fiance now even uses the men's version and he is normally strictly against any girly grooming practices.ha ha. One thing to remember when using them is that you should always wash your face first, then remove any make-up with gentle wipes. That way, you don't have to wash them as often (just rinse them thoroughly after each use) and you can avoid getting dirt and bacteria on the cloths, which could cause a breakout.

So girlies, what are your favourite exfoliating products to zap dry skin?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...