Thursday, November 4, 2010

Glamour & Marie Claire Magazines

I popped out this morning for an oh-so-glamourous trip to the store round the corner to pick up some toilet paper...yes my life is made up of glitter and gold.ha ha.  Anyway, I always take a fleeting glance at the magazine shelves to see if anything catches me eye and today I noticed Glamour Magazine and Marie Claire had freebies attached.  Now...9 times out of 10, I'm not one for magazine freebies because if it's makeup, it's never the right shade for me, if it's a piece of clothing, it's always a size XS and if it's jewellery, it's always flimsy and a bit cheap looking.  I mean, what do we expect when we are getting it for free?


However, today I noticed a rather pretty baby pink Nails Inc varnish attached to the front of Glamour which I read on a regular basis anyway so I thought...why the hell not!  The polish is called Warwick Avenue and it's a perfect everyday shade for me because I prefer the nude, glossy shades for that more natural look.  I know, I know...I REALLY need to branch out when it comes to nail polish but I promise I will be embarking on an experimental phase very soon!  I also saw a rich red/burgundy shade as well so if that's your bag, then go check it out.


Happy clutching my issue of Glamour, I then noticed the new issue of Marie Claire...how pretty is Rihanna's makeup on the cover...sigh! I love the contrast of girly pinks with her vivid red hair.  With this issue, there was a thin double bangle with charms up for grabs but I bought the magazine more for it's contents.


The bangle itself is pretty flimsy if I'm being completely honest and you can see where it has been fused together.  It is from http://www.made.uk.com/, so I decided to take a gander at the site to see what the company was all about as it seemed to be a good cause.  I know from experience that when they give away jewellery as a freebie for a magazine, it's seldom made to the same standard as the pieces you buy from the company (this probably has something to do with them having to mass produce them to a ridiculous scale to give away in the publication). 


The MADE site states "We're about producing gorgeously unique, high quality designer accessories for style-savvy shoppers. But in doing this we're able to radically improve the lives of impoverished communities in developing countries.  All made products are designed by influential designers, then sourced and created within disadvantaged communities across East Africa.  Following the principles of fair trade we train local artisans in new skills, providing fair wages and support at every level. Via this 'trade not aid' ethos we believe we can help break the cycle of poverty and empower the people who create our products".

On taking a look at the other jewellery, I spotted some really unique, interesting stuff and there were a few pieces that really stood out for me, the first being this statement necklace...


I could totally see this necklace worn with a hot pink silk blouse, skinny jeans and a black blazer!  It would really finish off an outfit and I love that it has a raw feeling to it.  The next thing that caught my eye was this gorgeous bracelet...


I will definitely be taking a closer look at this website because I'm all for supporting companies that help people in impoverished areas of the world, not only to make a living for themselves and their families, but teaching them new skills and trades.

Now I'm going to kick back, relax and read my mags...ahh bliss!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...